Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Music Mix!

Just wanna share my views

cintoninto

India

Hi,
I am doing engineering second year in information technology. I read through your article about clubs and raves. I am from India, known for its ethnic sense. Although we are technically growing, traditionally we prefer to stay behind. Clubs and raves might serve as a means of entertainment but they tend to spoil our culture. We too have nightclubs in India (very few). But I never stay out late. I always prefer to remain cool just like the John in your conversation. We have museums to preserve ancient stuff. Similarly we should build a museum within our self to preserve our culture and tradition.
When there are many forms of entertainments available, why should one go for clubs and raves? My suggestion is nightclubs should be avoided and especially teenagers should be prohibited from attending nightclubs and raves.

07:53 AM May 31 2001 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Ute

Germany

Hi Cintoninto,

I just read your comments on raves and society and I think it gives us a great insight into the Indian point of view and culture. I, too, have never been to a rave. Mostly because I’m not into techno-music.
Those monotonous pounding beats make me somewhat aggressive. I then feel like a caged animal with someone beating at the bars. – But that’s just me.
What I did’t quite understand was your suggestion. Was this especially aimed at Indian teenagers or teenagers in general? And why?
You stated that we should try to preserve our cultural identities. I totally see eye to eye with you on that, but I don’t think this should be done by
shutting us down to other influences. The world is getting smaller and smaller nowadays due to travel, TV, internet etc. We can gain so much from assimilating fashion, music, literature, food!... from different cultures into our daily lives without having to forget or lose the feeling of who we and what our roots are. I can’t imagine Germany (that’s where I come from by the way) without American movies , French fashion, Italian restaurants, Swiss cheese, English muffins….This list would be endless. But still I am and feel German. With the current efforts to turn us into ONE EUROPE I can tell you that people are fighting hard not to lose their cultural identities. Yet I don’t think that we should prohibit people to listen to certain music.

Best wishes and looking forward to reading from you soon

Ute

12:19 PM Jun 01 2001 |