Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

English Forums

Use our English forums to learn English. The message boards are great for English questions and English answers. The more you contribute, the more all members can practice English!

:  

Life Talk!

Why do we read Quran, even if we can’t understand a single Arabic word????

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

This is a beautiful story.

An old  American Muslim lived on a farm in the mountains of eastern  Kentucky with his young  grandson. Each morning Grandpa was up early sitting at the kitchen table reading  his Quran.  His grandson wanted to be just like him and tried to imitate  him in every way he could.

One day the grandson asked, "Grandpa! I  try to read the Quran just like you but I don't understand it, and what I  do understand I forget as soon as I close the book. What good does reading  the Qur'an do?"

The Grandfather quietly turned from putting coal in the  stove and replied, "Take this coal basket down to the river and bring me back a  basket of water."
The boy did as he was told, but all the water  leaked out before he got back to the house. The grandfather laughed and  said, "You'll have to move a little faster next time," and sent him back to  the river with the basket to try again. This time the boy ran faster, but  again the basket was empty before he returned home. Out of breath, he told  his grandfather that it was impossible to carry water in a basket, and  he went to get a bucket instead.

The old man said, "I don't want a  bucket of water; I want a basket of water. You're just not trying hard  enough," and he went out the door to watch the boy try again.

At  this point, the boy knew it was impossible, but he wanted to show his  grandfather that even if he ran as fast as he could, the water would leak  out before he got back to the house. The boy again dipped the basket into  river and ran hard, but when   he reached his grandfather the basket was  again empty. Out of breath, he said, "See Grandpa, it's useless!"  

"So you think it is useless?" The old man said, "Look at the &nbs! p;basket ."

The boy looked at the basket and for the first time  realized that the basket was different. It had been transformed from a  dirty old coal basket and was now clean, inside and out.

"Son,  that's what happens when you read the Qur'an. You might not understand or  remember everything, but when you read it, you will be changed, inside and out.  That is the work of Allah in our lives."

04:54 AM Aug 16 2008 |

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

mike_gwen

mike_gwen

Indonesia

Ok then nadya. I hope muslim people would get advantages by reading it.
I had watched many indonesian movies that showed a man can used sort of arabic language as some kind of spell or mantra to harm other people. Many rumours said that those arabic language are derived from quran verses. Is that true, nadia? I mean are there anything like that truly happened in muslim society? Btw I didn’t mean anything with this comment. I was just trying to get the truth. Ok. No offence, guys.

05:42 AM Aug 16 2008 |

nadiaaa

nadiaaa

Pakistan

objective of this story is if something u can't understand but u do work on it with your all sincerity then deffinetly it will show the results.

ARABIC is a language like other languages. it doesn't mean for ur benefit u can use it in wrong manner. but nowadays alot of fake things happening. like movies, media , people they explain islam or islamic culture according to their opinions n for getting profit they use some wrong things as well. but it doesn't means ISALM HARM any one inperson or anyone. it is a religion of peace.    

07:10 AM Aug 16 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

Progression I like your posts but I fear that you’re excessively pessimist about religions. Islam doesn’t necessarily reflect wholly about arabic lifestyle, but it is true that to some extent it does. But that is the case with all the religions of world.
As for Mike, if they show on movie that by pinching a pin on the bosom of a doll a person can kill another person (black magic) would you ever believe it? Yes, arabic is a language in itself and existed much before Islam was revealed upon world.
Now on the topic—> Islam does a good job by making it mandatory for every muslim to learn arabic (at least only reading). It brings in a feeling of universality and uniformity. If a person from India goes to say Indonesia or Turkey he won’t feel alienated while praying.
PS- Yes Islam is somewhat against freedom of women, but so are most religions of that time. The only difference is that other religions are somewhat flexible and allow rules to be altered so the lack of freedom doesn’t look apparent. But Islam is very rigid and all the rules are chalked out in sharia’.

09:13 AM Aug 16 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

enslaving women!!! i wish i get all the rights islam gives to woman and i'll not lead any struggle.i've  never read a book treats women as humans as the koran does.i praise independence , freedom and individuality and islam treats women as independent,free individuals.if their are some wrong deeds,it's people's responsibility.

i think that we should know and understand what we read.i don't like the way some muslims deal with the koran.it's a book for life not only for reciting.

mike, those are myths and noone can harm another person by some spells.koran verses have no harmful effects.they are words to understand.illogical people like to avoid seeing true reasons and give supernatural explanations.  

01:28 PM Aug 16 2008 |

lilimira

lilimira

Algeria

islam is not rigid and sharia give only the basic laws and it's for humans to search and to make other nessary laws.

nassim,islam is not against freedom of women,societies are.i was surprised when a pakistanee friend told me that parents have to choose a husband for their daughter!!islamic tradition is not the same in all countries.some women are really miserable in some societies.hijab which is a sigh of woman's seriousness ,faith and humanity became a jail.

islam gives the woman her material independence while at that age women were their husbands belonging.a woman duty is to study and to choose her way.she is equal to man in front of god.it's some people'swrong understanding and some women's acceptence that  make islam seem as a jail.i would never been a muslim,if i only followed some muslim thoughts.i praise my freedom and i don't let any religious thought to spoil it.i think i'm enjoying my freedom being a muslim woman and i don't see anything i love and i can't do.

01:43 PM Aug 16 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Friends,
I don’t understand the language of quran but heard sound coming out of musqe,which always attracted me.
& it happened with me recently that when I recited the word ‘Inshaallah’by merging in it, it gave meaning to me by itself.I feel that we can get a lot of ‘peace’if we just recite Quran even without understanding it.

03:24 PM Aug 16 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

This is single source of trouble in this world right now. reading and following books with out knowing the meaning of those books. Even taking literal meaning and twisting meanings is reason for extremism.
dev- what you feel is not because of words but because of rhythm and singing of verses.

03:55 PM Aug 16 2008 |

javamanju

javamanju

India

Extremist claim that they follow a book and take verses from books, and gullibale people who don’t know the meaning believe that what the extremist say is right.

04:03 PM Aug 16 2008 |

devindernagpal

India

Java,

I feel it's both & none,

but out of heart.

12:18 AM Aug 17 2008 |

Nasim

Nasim

India

Lilimira when I meant Islam restricts some rights to women I think it does. I can’t explicitly state any but that is true. But the gap between the sexes is not that wide as the anti-islamic propagandist claim. And BTW
“Freedom is like the freedom of kite, not like the freedom of bird.”
—Keats
So freedom also has a limit. As for dev…yes there is something in the words…not just the rhythm. We muslims believe that Quran is from Allah and no other being can ever make single verse that is as dignified as a verse from Quran. When you listen to Jana Gana Mana and when you listen to Ae mere watan ke logon when do u feel the blood throbbing in your arteries?

04:57 AM Aug 17 2008 |