Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Pull Something Off
Pull Something Off English, baby! Video Lesson

Learn English meaning of 'Pull Something Off'

Date: Mar 28 2017

Themes: Friend, Party, Soap Opera

Grammar: Comparatives and Superlatives

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

What would you do if you just remembered that you have a huge report due tomorrow morning? You need to write 15 pages in just a few hours! Would you feel stressed out? Would you panic? Or would you make a big cup of coffee, open your computer, and start writing? Would you stay up all night to come up with a great report? Could you pull this off?

Sometimes, it’s not easy to pull something off. You might have problems with time or money. You might lose interest in what you’re doing. But when you pull something off, you succeed in doing it. You make it happen. You don’t let anything stop you from your goal. You ask friends for help, you buy supplies, you do whatever you must do to succeed. And, by the way, if you can pull off a 15-page report in just one night, congratulations! You’re pretty amazing.

Andy, Dominique, and Kelsey are trying to come up with a great party for Sheila, but they need to have everything ready by tomorrow. Can they pull it off? Watch today’s soap opera to find out!

3. Watch - Watch the video without reading the dialog.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Andy_H

Andy_H

Kelsey

Kelsey

Dominique

Dominique

Andy_H:  You couldn’t find cupcakes?

Kelsey:  Nope.

Andy_H:  Or balloons?

Kelsey:  Nope.

Andy_H:  Or general party supplies?!

Kelsey:  Sorry, Andy. I mean, we’ve been shopping all day, and we couldn’t come up with anything.

Andy_H:  Oh! I don’t think I’m going to be able to pull this off.

Kelsey:  Andy, you can do it! Andy doesn’t think he’s going to make this party happen.

Dominique:  Nonsense. Tell him it will be fine.

Kelsey:  Dominique says you’ll be fine.

Dominique:  Tell him we can help him.

Kelsey:  Dominique says we can still help you out.

Dominique:  Tell him we can make cupcakes.

Kelsey:  Andy, Dominique says we can make cupcakes.

Andy_H:  Oh! OK! Yeah, that sounds great.

Kelsey:  We’re on it.

Andy_H:  Sheila will be home tomorrow, so I need help figuring out general party supplies…. Hello? Kelsey? OK… I guess she’s excited about the cupcakes.

Kelsey:  Ugh! I hate baking.

Dominique:  Yeah, it’s literally the worst.

Kelsey:  I don’t even like cupcakes.

Dominique:  I like the frosting. They’re better than cake.

Kelsey:  Definitely better than cake. And hopefully easier to make.

Dominique:  I think they’re pretty easy. You know what’s good? Cookies!

Kelsey:  Mmm… Cookies and coffee, or pie…

Dominique:  I seriously love pie.

Kelsey:  I’m hungry.

Dominique:  Me, too. Let’s get lunch, and we can talk about cupcakes.

Kelsey:  Have you made cupcakes before?

Dominique:  Yeah. I mean, kind of…. I should say, I’ve tried, but I either lost interest, or they didn’t turn out right.

Kelsey:  Do you think we can pull this off?

Dominique:  We’ll make it happen. And if it doesn’t work out, we can just put lots of frosting on top of them.

Kelsey:  Perfect.

Andy_H:  What kind of cupcakes? What do you mean? What flavor? I don’t know. Chocolate! OK, yeah. That sounds fine, too. Yeah, sure. So does that. Hang on, let me call you back. Get! Away! From! Me! Ahhhh! OK… All right…

Dominique:  Hey, Andy. No, I’m not with Kelsey. She’s getting cupcake supplies, and I was just about to get the balloons.

Andy_H:  No! I already have balloons!

Dominique:  OK, great!

Andy_H:  What kind of cupcakes do you think Sheila will like?

Dominique:  Well, I don’t think it matters as long as you have a lot of frosting on top.

Andy_H:  I am so stressed out!

Dominique:  Andy, it’s going to be fine. I’ll call Kelsey, and we’ll take care of the cupcakes. We’ll be able to pull this party off, but I think you need to try to enjoy getting this ready for Sheila. She’s going to love whatever you do. I’ll call Kelsey.

Andy_H:  That’s a good idea. Ahhhhh!

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Comparatives and Superlatives" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

There’s a problem. Dominique, Kelsey, and Andy are preparing for Sheila’s surprise party, but they haven’t come up with many supplies. Without decorations and food, it won’t be a very good party. Andy is so stressed out. How can they still pull this off? Dominique comes up with a plan….

Dominique and Kelsey will bake chocolate cupcakes. They don’t enjoy baking, but they want Sheila to have a great party. And if they can’t pull off the cupcakes, they’ll simply add extra frosting and hope no one notices. Meanwhile, Andy buys balloons, lots and lots of balloons. It seems like the friends might be able to pull this party off!

How do you come up with party ideas? Have you ever started to do something and then lost interest?

Comments

allenzhaojl

China

I always pull things off whatever they are – a project, a show, etc. It is not easy, but whatever it is, in the end we can all taste the victory for pulling something off with our full effort.

12:53 PM Mar 30 2017 |

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

Julito, No doubt… you will succeed it ,No sunlights and rains will stop you ..Pull it off this time .

10:04 PM Mar 28 2017 |

julito1

julito1

Argentina

Me ? lost interest is the story of my life, but this time I will make it right. I am attending a workshop in English on American writers. I am serious , I mean it , I am determined, come shine, come rain will pull it off.  

Seiyfk

Seiyfk

Turkey

its wonderful idea,to think people around us…to make nice surprises for them ..to make them feel happy ..life is beautiful when we did these sweeet surprises for our families,friends,collegues…and these events turn to beautiful memories after years..and life is beautiful with people who think of you,remember you .. 

07:28 PM Mar 28 2017 |

marstanf

marstanf

Argentina

Planning a surprise birthday party is a great way of showing friends how much they mean to you! If you put a little thought into what your friend likes, it’s not hard to come up with ideas for the party theme 

BTW it’s certainly cheaper to make cupcakes than to buy them…. lol 

11:53 AM Mar 28 2017 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: