Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

Makeup Tutorials
Makeup Tutorials

Learn English meaning of 'makeup tutorials'

Date: Oct 12 2016

Themes: Fashion, Hobbies, How To

Grammar: Modal Verbs

Intro

1. Learn Vocabulary - Learn some new vocabulary before you start the lesson.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

2. Read and Prepare - Read the introduction and prepare to hear the audio.

Are your eyebrows on fleek? What do you do when you need makeup and beauty pointers? Many people use YouTube to help them learn how to look good. A makeup tutorial is a lesson on how to apply a beauty product like eyeliner or lipstick. You can learn different methods simply by watching these short videos. You can also watch a review of a specific product before you buy it.

Maybe, you’ve come to realize that YouTube’s makeup tutorials aren’t just about looking good. There are tons of other tutorials too. For example, if you want to look like a zombie, there’s a tutorial for that. If you want to look like a tiger, there’s a tutorial for that. There are also tons of tutorials on how to look like specific celebrities. You can even change the shape of your face by making your nose look smaller and your eyes look bigger!

Jordin thinks Marni should watch YouTube’s makeup tutorials. Listen to today’s English lesson to find out why.

Dialog

1. Listen and Read - Listen to the audio and read the dialog at the same time.

2. Study - Read the dialog again to see how the vocab words are used.

Marni

Marni

Jordin

Jordin

Marni:  Jordin, I’ve come to realize that I have no idea what I’m doing when it comes to putting on makeup.

Jordin:  It’s not too hard to find out more about it. There’s lots of resources.

Marni:  Well, I was just hoping maybe you could give me some pointers.

Jordin:  Just go on YouTube and search “How to put on liquid eyeliner” or “How to apply purple lipstick.” You’ll find somebody who will be able to teach you all about it. It’s great.

Marni:  I never thought about that, but you’re right. There’s got to be makeup tutorials out there.

Jordin:  There are tons.

Marni:  ...everything you could ever want to know about putting on makeup.

Jordin:  They’ll be product specific, so they’ll sort of give you a review about a certain product, so you can know whether that’s something you want to buy and invest your money in or not.

Marni:  Yeah, because there are so many products out there that are so expensive and overpriced.

Jordin:  Yes. And it’s like you don’t want to buy that unless you know it’s good.

Marni:  Right. So, they tell you how to apply and give you specific methods...

Jordin:  Exactly. They’ll help teach you how to put it on, and they’ll tell you all about the different kinds, and sometimes they’re funny too. They’ll make jokes. It’s fun.

Marni:  Perfect. Thanks for the tip.

Jordin:  You’re welcome. I look forward to seeing your on fleek new look.

Grammar Point

Go Super to learn "Modal Verbs" from this lesson Go Super!

Quizzes

Go Super to take Quiz Go Super!

Lesson MP3

Go Super to download full lesson MP3 Go Super!

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Discussion

Marni needs Jordin’s help. She wants to learn how to apply makeup, and she has no idea how to do it. She asks Jordin for a few pointers, but Jordin’s answer is not very specific. Instead, Jordin tells Marni to search for makeup tutorials on YouTube. Jordin thinks this is the best way to learn different methods of applying makeup.

YouTube? Makeup tutorials? Marni has never thought about this before. Jordin says there are tons of fun YouTube makeup tutorials for Marni to watch. YouTube is also a great place to look for a review of a specific product, like lipstick or eyeliner. Marni likes this idea because makeup is expensive. Soon, Marni will be ready to show her on fleek new look to Jordin.

Do you use makeup? Do you thing YouTube’s makeup tutorials are helpful?

Comments

Olga_Russia

Russian Federation

I agree that you can find tons of tutorials on different themes in the Internet. But at the same time not all of them should be practiced on your own. And in the case of make-up it’s the most complicated thing. For example, we all are different. We have different type of skin, facial features and vision of yourself. As for me I don’t like frilly make-up, and it doesn’t matter on fleek it or not. Also I won’t be able to understand how to apply eyeliner in a proper way until I see it in reality. And I have sensitive skin so not every eyeliner is suitable for me exactly. 

11:16 PM Oct 12 2016 |

joao correia

Brazil

I don’t , but I know that there are tons of tutorials about everything what you need in YouTube. It’s a great thing of modern life., learn what you want where you are when you want. With Internet connection of course that!

06:42 PM Oct 12 2016 |

ARYA30

ARYA30

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I really hate makeup and cosmetic they don’t use full for healthy…

10:46 AM Oct 12 2016 |

1 person likes this

Likes (5):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog: