Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

miss out

miss out

Date: Jul 14 2016

Themes: Celebrity, Pop Culture

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

Go Super to Listen Go Super!

My husband, he’s a comedy writer, and he’s constantly stunned by what I don’t know, what I missed out on. He’s like, “What were you doing during your teen years?”
—Actress Ellie Kemper, speaking about not being familiar with pop culture (npr.org)

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

not be able to do something; not be aware of something

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

What is the most important holiday in your country? Almost everyone looks forward to celebrating holidays with their family and friends. However, sometimes it is hard to make it. Imagine this: You are studying abroad during the biggest holiday in your country. You can Skype with your family, but you can’t interrupt your studies to go visit them. You will miss out on the celebration back home. How do you feel?

We use the expression miss out or miss out on to talk about not being able to do something or not being aware of something. You could miss out on going to a concert because you can’t afford it. You could also miss out on a certain element of pop culture because you weren’t paying attention. For example, maybe, you didn’t watch the Grammys, so you don’t understand all the gossip at the office the next day! Actress Ellie Kemper didn’t pay very much attention to pop culture when she was a teenager. Her husband is surprised by how much she missed out on.

Do you pay attention to pop culture?

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“I hate to miss out on the party, but I will be on vacation.”

“I really missed out on the music scene in the 90s. I was too young to pay attention to what was popular.”

“I’m really upset that I have to miss out on your wedding! I can’t afford to buy a plane ticket.”

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

a2020 Did not have that time.
by a2020

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Comments

Sergijko

Sergijko

Ukraine

There will be always something we miss out on. The point is we can’t absorb all the info and any other gossip from outside constantly. I missed out on last New Year’s celebration because I was working that day. I was mighty pissed off. 

10:47 AM Sep 24 2016 |

ola3

ola3Super Member!

Ukraine

It’s summer now. Make the most of your time – don’t miss out on swimming, barbecuing, night jogging and if you have anything else on your summer list, just let me know!

02:06 PM Jul 22 2016 |

s11211s

s11211s

Iran, Islamic Republic Of

I try to pay attention to pop culture, I like that, but it is a very board topic.
So I have to miss out on most of pop culture issues.

04:15 PM Jul 15 2016 |

Likes (8):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast