Learn English with English, baby!

Join for FREE!

Social_nav_masthead_logged_in

hooked me up

hooked me up

Date: Aug 16 2001

1. Quote - Listen to the quote and guess what the slang means.

“I bought this shirt from Jackie Chan. He hooked me up.”
- Chris Tucker, actor, comedian talking about his relationship with Jackie Chan in Rush Hour 2.

Definition

1. Definition - Study the definition.

helped me get something, did a favor for me, gave me something, helped me do something

2. Use - Learn how the slang is used.

The slang expression “hook up” has several different uses and meanings depending on the context of the conversation. However, there are two primary uses, one of which is defined above. “Hook me up” is almost always used to mean “help me out,” or “give me something.”
The other use usually has to do with dating. For example, two people could “hook up” at a restaurant for dinner – meaning that they met at a restaurant. Those same two people could “hook up” later in the evening at home – meaning that they kissed in a romantic way.
The expression could probably be used in a hundred different situations. I will try to give you several of them below.

Examples

1. Examples - Hear some example sentences.

“(On a basketball court.)”

””Hey, hook me up with the ball man. I haven’t touched it all game. I want to shoot the ball once in a while too.”“

“(At school on Monday morning.)”

””What did you do this weekend? Did you hook up with Kathy? She’s hot, and I think she likes you.”“

“(At lunch time.)”

””Is your mom going to hook us up with lunch today? I’m starving! Let’s go to your house.”“

“(On Friday afternoon.)”

””Do you want to hook up later tonight? I want to go bowling. Give me a call when you get off work.”“

“(At a baseball game.)”

””When we got to the game I realized I forgot my money. Luckily, my friend hooked me up and bought a ticket for me.”“

Winners

1. Winners - See who guessed the slang definition correctly.

I think ‘he hooked me up’ means : they two have a good relationship, Jackie Chan has a good connection with Chris Tucker.
by Yulei (Shanghai)
I think that “hook up” means something like “connect”, maybe he meant that Jackie Chan connected it to him.
by Raul (Mexico)
I think “hook up” means ..make one satisified,happy,feel great”
by Penguin (Thailand)
I think “hook up” means “make somebody indulged in something”.
am i right?
by Leeley

Want to guess next week's slang?

The iTEP® test

• Schedule an iTEP® test and take the official English Practice Test.

Take Now >

Likes (13):

See all >

Share this lesson:

• Share on Facebook
  • Share on Bebo
  • Share on Myspace
  • Share on Twitter
  • Email this to a friend
  • Share on Sina

Post Ebaby! lessons on your blog:

Ebaby! Cast